Speak to Me app
Speak To Me app arose from the findings of the ‘On Speaking Terms—Matters of Life and Death’ palliative care development project. Funded by the Irish Hospice Foundation and developed with the assistance of the Irish Translators and Interpreters Association (ITIA) the primary focus of the app is to improve the quality of palliative care delivered to people with Limited English Proficiency (LEP) and to assist community interpreters working in a palliative care context.
Core difficulties identified for interpreters working in palliative care contexts:
- Access to specific information about palliative care services.
- Guidance on best practice for interpreting in palliative care contexts.
- Strategies for coping with the difficult emotional issues that may arise when interpreting for people dealing with a terminal illness.
Interpreters also need access to this information without the need to attend training workshops and courses as current working conditions for community interpreters can make it difficult to find time and money for continuing professional training and education.
The Speak To Me mobile app was developed to provide quick and accessible information about palliative care and interpreting in this context.
- ITIA Code of Ethics for Healthcare Interpreters.
- Good practice guidelines for interpreters and health care professionals.
- A guide to self-care strategies for working in stressful interpreting contexts.
- Links to an information video about palliative care featured in the Irish Association of Palliative Care (IAPC) website.
- Key information about core aspects of palliative care.
- In-app GPS directions and contact details to all listed Palliative Care services in Ireland.
Available to download FREE from App Store (Apple) and Google Play Store (Android). Click links below: